Thursday, August 18, 2011

Key Lime (Mini!) Pies


I created this recipe for an online recipe contest. I am so nervous and excited... this is my first contest! Click for more on Vegan Culinary Crusade's Raw Recipe Challenge, and to see the other beautiful entries. Wow. 

Since I'm in Florida, I decided to make... what else? Key Lime Pie! It's the state pie, you know : ) Can you believe that Key Limes and macadamias are both local? As in- people have them in their back yards??? How amazing is that? (I have to remind myself of the good things about Florida while we melt in the summer heat and humidity right now) Three months of sweltering heat... ah, it's the price we pay to have tropical fruits in the back yard... 

OK... here goes... enjoy, with warm wishes from Florida! xo
Bailey the Beach Dog 
(and Healing Kitchen mascot :)

Raw Vegan Key Lime Mini Pies
Makes three 4"pies
Ingredients

For the crust
3/4 cup macadamia nuts
1/4 cup pine nuts
Approximately 10 pitted dates, unsoaked
Pinch himalayan salt

For the key lime filling
1 cup soaked cashews
2 tablespoons key lime juice (if you can't find key limes, persian limes will do) Reserve a slice of lime or curl some lime zest for garnish
2 tablespoons light agave nectar
1/2 vanilla bean, scraped
Approximately 1/4 cup filtered water (just enough to blend)
Teeny pinch of himalayan salt

For the vanilla creme (you will have extra vanilla creme)
1 cup soaked cashews
3 tablespoons light agave nectar
1 vanilla bean- scraped or ground whole in coffee grinder (see this post)
Approximately 1/4 cup filtered water- enough to blend to a creamy texture

Method

Crust
Briefly pulse macadamia nuts, pine nuts, and himalayan salt in food processor until dry and crumbly. Don't overprocess or the crust will become oily.

Add dates and process until combined. Amount of dates will vary- you want a consistency that will stick together when you press it between your fingers.

Press the mixture into your desired pie pan.

Set pie crusts aside. Tip: put your pie shells in the freezer while making the filling. When you are ready, the cold crust slides out of the tart pan much easier. (or maybe this is just because I'm in Florida, where it is so hot that things tend to melt just sitting on the kitchen counter? LOL)
Filling
Blend all ingredients in Vita-Mix or blender. Pour into pie shells.
Gently slide crusts out of tart pans. Add a slice of lime for garnish:
Vanilla creme
Blend all ingredients in Vita-Mix or blender.
Place a dollop of vanilla creme on each key lime pie:
Enjoy!

Note: You will have extra vanilla creme. You can use it to make more filling, make another pie, use it in a berry parfait for tomorrow's breakfast- or just eat it with a spoon. Ha. OK, try not to just eat it with a spoon. I'm sure you will find something delicious for the vanilla creme. You can't really make half a recipe for the creme, because there won't be enough volume for the blender to blend. But a little extra vanilla deliciousness is not a bad thing!

I used the leftover vanilla creme to make mini black forest pies. I had an abundance of fresh cherries in my refrigerator, and what better way to use them than (more) pie. Mmmm!

Pssst... did you know that cashews are one of the world's healthiest foods? Click here for more nutritional information about cashews, limes, dates, and pine nuts

*This post also linked on Cybele Pascal's Allergy Friendly Friday and Diet, Dessert and Dogs' Summer Wellness Weekends. Click on over and take a look at the other great allergy-friendly and healing recipes!

13 comments:

  1. Wow this is beautiful!!! Your post caught my eye on Wellness Weekends @ Diet, Dessert and Dogs. I LOVE Key Lime Pie, you have come up with a fabulous version! Wishing lots of luck for the contest.
    ~ Emily @ Recipes to Nourish http://recipestonourish.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily- thank you! I just found Diet Dessert and Dogs last night, and I'm thrilled to find another blog with great healthy recipes. And now your blog too- how fun! I'm always happy to find more recipes and like minded cooks : ) Thanks for commenting, I can't wait to go look at your blog too- Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. As I was making this, I thought a bit of coconut oil (for texture) or even shredded raw coconut (for taste) in the crust would make this pie even more amazing- but I'm currently avoiding coconut. But I thought I'd share that tip in case that is something that appeals to you : ) Key Lime is one of my favorite pies too : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious -- any ideas what I might substitute for son#2 who can't eat cashews or pine nuts? Love that the pies are so little (cute!) I hear you about the hot kitchen -- my attempts this week to make a basket of spun sugar just resulted in mush! :)

    Lisa @ Allergy Free Vintage Cookery http://allergyfreecookery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous! What a wonderful entry into the challenge. Thank you so much for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Vintagemom, you could definitely leave the pine nuts out of the crust. I like to add pine nuts to my crusts because I feel they add a "buttery" flavor, but they are not necessary. You might add some shredded coconut to the crust if you felt you might like to jazz it up a bit, but it would be fine as-is, minus pine nuts (just use 1c macadamias).

    As for subbing cashews... that might be trickier. I have seen other recipes that use avocado as a creamy base. I think that would work, although I haven't tried it (I can't eat avocado). It would also be green, which would go with the "lime" theme. You might need to play around with the amounts- a little more or less avocado, a little more or less lime/vanilla/agave- until you get the flavor you are looking for.

    If I were trying avocado, I'd try making the filling first before making the crusts, just to make sure you like it and get the flavor where you want it, before pouring it into expensive macadamia crusts :)

    @ VeganLisa, thank you! Thank you for hosting this fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on winning the Raw Mini Pie Challenge, Tasha! It is well deserved. Please email me your mailing address so I can set up your VegNews subscription!
    nicole@adashofcompassion.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohmigosh Nicole! That is SO exciting! WOW!!!! I will send you my address. Oh wow, this is awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. just made this with macadamias instead of cashews (and skipped the crust entirely). it is SO DELICIOUS! Thanks for the pretty pics
    -Sarah @ two-tarts.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just made these and LOVED them! Very very good and great Key Lime Pie flavor. The only change I made was add almond milk to the filling instead of water. It just made it really creamy. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah- Somehow I just now saw your comment. That sounds great! Like Key Lime pudding- mmm.

    One Happy- I am so glad to hear that you made these and enjoyed them! Almond milk is a great idea- now that you say that, it makes me think that coconut milk or coconut water would be great too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete